As of January 2017, we are going to bring back the Breeder Award Program.
The purposes of the Breeder’s Award Program are:
- To encourage members of the society to keep and breed fish in a non-competitive environment.
- To share the information concerning their spawning and rearing.
- To promote an interest in breeding and making the information and species available.
- To make more members active participants in the society.
- To recognize the achievements of society members concerning the breeding of their fish.
All members of the San Diego Tropical Fish Society in good standing are eligible to participate in the program.
- All information is kept on file as of January 01, 2017 unless deemed otherwise by BAP chairman.
- All information is kept on file even those who have left the society for any reason will be kept in archives for the information or the member returns to good standing in the society at a later date.
Overview of the Program
Members breed fish for points, which are accumulated to reach individual achievement levels and for annual awards. Point values for each species vary depending upon the difficulty of spawning and raising the fry. Fish that are submitted for BAP are entered into the auction at the general meetings, and the proceeds from those auction sales support the BAP.
The BAP Chairperson:
- The BAP Chairperson can only be a member of the society in good standing.
- The BAP Chairperson is voted in by the members during the general election of the Board Members for the SDTFS.
- The BAP Chairperson may or may not be a Board Member of the SDTFS.
Job of BAP Chairperson:
- To maintain and keep the BAP Book current and up to date.
- To bring the BAP Book to the general meetings.
- To pick three people to be on the BAP Committee.
- To help decide points assigned to a particular spawning of fish unless the fish belongs to the BAP Chairperson.
- To check a spawn for proof of authenticity.
The BAP Committee:
- The BAP Committee people can only be a member of the society in good standing.
- The BAP Committee is chosen by the BAP Chairman as needed to decide in the fairness of awarding the points for breeding fish and laws to the Breeder’s Award Program.
- The BAP Committee people may or may not be a Board Member of the SDTFS.
- The BAP Committee will be made up of three people.
Job of BAP Committee:
- To decides the points for breeding fish in fairness to the degree of difficulty unless the organism belongs to that BAP person.
- To change the laws of the BAP as needed under the advisement of the Board Members.
- To check a spawn for proof of authenticity.
Rules of the Program:
Proof of Spawning:
- Submission of spawn for point verification consists of three parts.
- A BAP Spawn Submission Form must be filled out and turned in with each spawn that is being submitted for verification.
- Visual inspection of spawn by the BAP chairperson or by BAP committee.
- Spawn must be sold at general meeting.
- BAP chairperson or BAP committee must see the spawn at 40 days or older but no longer than 120 days.
- In special occasions, due to the amount of spawn raised the BAP chairperson or BAP Committee can verify the proof of spawning with a lesser number of fry with a vote.
- All fish must be submitted for visual recognition to the BAP chairperson or committee at a regular monthly club meeting.
- Any fish found to be unhealthy or defective will not be accepted.
- Breeder award points will be awarded only once to an individual for each species.
- Person submitting fish for recognition must have a current membership in the San Diego Tropical Fish Society in good standing.
Level of Breeder
The Level of Breeder is determined by the amount of points that are accumulated from the fish or other organisms that have been raised for the amount of time required. There will be five levels of breeders including the amount of points required too reach each level;
- Novice Breeder – The points will very as long as they have a combination of livebearer and egglayer of three different species of fish.
- General Breeder – 50 points that must be received with the credit of spawning of fish.
- Advanced Breeder – 150 points that must be received with the credit of spawning of fish.
- Senior Breeder – 300 points that must be received with the credit of spawning of fish. Plus one lecture on a fish that you have raised.
- Expert Breeder – 500 points that must be received with the credit of spawning of fish. Plus three lectures on different species of fish that you have raised.
The BAP Points are agreed upon by the BAP chairperson and committee and are based on the fish and the degree of difficulty in spawning and raising of the fish. The difficulty in the breeding and raising of fish is determined by the ease of spawning, tank size, water parameters, needed food and difficulty in raising. The fish are listed in the appendix by the class with the corresponding points in the appendix. The class is determined by the difficulty in breeding and raising of the fish. The fish are in the appendix for future reference by other members wishing to breed them at a later date.
- The member will receive recognition for their achievement with the listing of their name and the fish that they have breed and raised at general meeting and on club website.
- There will be an announcement during the yearly dinner celebration of the current status of those in the SDTF Breeder’s Award Program and those who have reach a higher status.
- Awards will be given in the form of ribbons, certificates and plaques at yearly dinner.
Changes to the Rules:
Only the BAP chairperson and committee change the BAP rules. For these rules to be final they need to be approved by the Board members of SDTF society.
Special Recognition for trait breeding:
- Points will be awarded at the BAP discretion to breeders that breed exceptionally species.
Submitting and Verifying Eligible Spawns
To be a BAP-eligible spawn the following criteria must be met:
- 5 or more healthy fry
- free of any defects
- between 45 and 120 days of age after hatching/birth
- minimum standard length (SL) of 3/4”