Upcoming Meeting: January 14th
Chris Medrano from Fountains Aquarium to speak about some of the amazing new products that came out in 2017!!!! Free samples will be given out to the first 25 people get there early and don’t miss out!!!!
Time and Place
Our public meetings are at 6:30 pm the second Sunday of each month in room 101 of the Casa del Prado in Balboa Park. Directions are here. Please come join us. We love to chat, and we have many experts in our club who are willing and able to answer your questions and help you advance your hobby, even if you’ve been keeping fish for 50 years!
Each regular meeting starts with a mini-auction. You can start registering the items at 6pm, and we try to start the auction at 6:30pm. If you are planning to sell items, please get here early, and fill out the Seller Item Listing form and label the bags before you arrive. This gives a better chance for other members to see the items, and note down what they are interested in.
Twice a year, instead of a speaker, the SDTFS have an enormous auction. This is usually April and November. Registration starts earlier, at 5pm for these. There are fish, plants, filters, tanks, stands, lighting, and sometimes even whole tank setups for sale. It is one of our major fundraisers.
Only SDTFS members may buy and sell items. You can join when you arrive at the auction. Plan on bringing plenty of cash because we do not accept credit cards.
After the Auction
After the auction, we have a brief business meeting, followed by an interesting program on some aspect of the hobby. See below for the current schedule.
Then we break for coffee, doughnuts, and conversation. After the break, we raffle off a table full of fish, plants, equipment, food, and even tanks! We also have a bowl show that features a different aquatic category each month.
Dogs at Meetings
Dogs are welcome to the meeting, but please follow the rules below:
- The dog must be held on a leash at all times.
- Only one dog per family permitted.
- If you bring a dog, you will be asked to sign a liability waver.
- Anyone not observing the above rules will be asked to leave.
- January 14th: Chris Medrano from Fountains Aquarium to speak about some of the amazing new products that came out in 2017!!!! Free samples will be given out to the first 25 people get there early and don’t miss out!!!!
- February 11th: Doug Dennis – How to create Powerpoint presentations.
- March 11th: Bryan Chin – Guppy breeding.
- April 8th: Our large Spring Auction. See the Auctions page for information about buying and selling. Bring items at 5:30, and the auction tries to start at 6pm.
- May 13th:
- June 10th: Holly Rutan, Golden State Betta Society – Bettas
- July 8th:
- August 12th: .
- September 9th:
- October 14th:
- November 11th: The Fall Auction
- December 9th: Annual Christmas Potluck 6pm Start – Christmas Potluck, Awards, Elections, Raffle. The meeting consists of a pot luck dinner, each member brings a hot main course if they are single, or a hot main course with a dessert or appetizer if more than one. At the meeting there is also an optional gift exchange, you can bring a wrapped fish related gift under $10, and you get to pick a different one in a random drawing.